How to tell whether a pattern uses UK or US crochet terms

The quickest way is to look for SC – single crochet. UK patterns don’t use this term so if you see single crochets anywhere in the pattern, it’s in US terms. If you don’t see SC, look for HDC. In UK terms, this would be an htr. If you’re still not sure, just ask :>> The designer won’t mind!

Chainless Starting Triple Crochet from Moogly

This is a clever little trick that’s worth taking the time to learn. The picture on the right from Moogly will show you why!

Bear in mind that she uses US terms so whenever she says “double crochet”, you and I would use a UK TRIPLE CROCHET.

Photo and video tutorial here.

How to design your own patterns

Here’s something special from Crochet Parfait. It is SO clever and useful.

She has put together a tutorial to show us how to make crochet charts on the computer. That is, charts to help you plan and design patterns, even simple beginner patterns. Her website shows charts for giant Afghans (and she’s happy to share).

Ingenious and SO worth taking a look!

The tutorial is HERE.

Crochet Parfait is HERE.

Pattern translation – beautiful Afghan blanket

This pattern may seem daunting at first but it’s really worth a shot.  It’s in US terms so sc = UK DC, hdc = UK HTR, dc = UK TR, dtr = UK Triple Treble. It’s a project that’ll take you a while but as it grows it’ll keep your legs warm!

Click here for this beautiful blanket pattern from and Lion Brand.

Guest post: Eve tells us about Blocking!

The gorgeous and clever Eve has kindly written us a wonderful post about blocking, something we perhaps don’t do enough but could do with using more! Have a good read, tell us what you think and take a peek at her site as thank you for sharing her wisdom and taking the time to write this for us :>>


Eden’s Lace specialises in Irish Clones Lace and Crochet lace goods – particularly wedding & bridesmaid favours.

Each piece is designed and handmade in the sunny southeast of Ireland by Eve.

Visit to shop, see behind-the-scenes pics and crochet tips.

Custom orders are a speciality, with experience in large pieces – i.e. veils, mantillas, christening gowns, wedding dress trains, etc.

How To Block Crochet

You did it! You cracked the pattern, the tension square turned out perfect and you’d just enough yarn to complete your crochet project. But, you’re not done yet. Taking the time to block crochet is a step not to be missed. It can feel tedious, but it is so worth the effort. Don’t let all your hard work go to waste!

You will need:

1) Blocking board

2) Pins

3) Ruler

4) Basin of Water

5) Drop (drop!) of unscented soap

6) Facecloth


7) Iron

8) Spray-on starch

…and your finished crochet, of course!

If you don’t have a blocking board, try:

1. Folded beach towel.

2. Microfiber towel wrapped around a pillow.

2. Foam gardening kneeling mat.

3. Yoga mat, folded and secured with duct tape

4. As above, but try a foam camping mat

5. Playground rubber floor tiles


The three granny squares are in Aran/Worsted, Double Knitting/Sport and Lace/2 Ply. There were Worked on 6.50mm, 3.50mm and 0.60mm hooks, respectively.


Fill basin with cold water and add a tiny drop of unscented soap – the drop should be half the size of a pea, seriously, that small! Submerge crochet for a few minutes, but do not rub. Temperature and friction are the path to felting!

04 03

Remove from water and blot with facecloth. Crochet should be damp, but not dripping.


Beginning with the corners, pin in place. If your board doesn’t have any lines, just use a ruler for guidance, as I have. Keep stretching and pinning until you’re happy the yarn is held in good tension.


Pin at the apex – the central stitch – of clusters. Once the clusters are secured, this helps the rest of the spaces fall into place.


Once everything is pinned, wet facecloth and blot yarn. Again, damp, but not dripping!

Now’s the time to apply a light spray of starch or steam an iron 1inch/2.5cm above the crochet, if you want a firmer finish to your work.


Leave to block overnight. We had sunshine in Ireland, which is such a rare occurrence that I left mine on the windowsill. Don’t do this if you use coloured yarn!


See the difference blocking makes? The large square turned out far softer after blocking – surprising bonus! Bar an attack by a passing cat, the work stays flat and in great condition 😀